21 November 2013

Wow...I suck

I can honestly say that I didn't think I would SUCK so badly at blogging! Especially since I am blogging about reading! I have read at LEAST 100 books since the last time I blogged, and yet I haven't written anything about any of them! In my defense, I did find out that I was pregnant, as well as complete said pregnancy, give birth, and try to juggle three kids, cleaning, work, and a husband since the last blog. But that is still no excuse.

So anyways, let me see what I just finished reading yesterday....Take My Hand by Nicola Haken. I have to say that it was really good. But here's the blurb, and then I will give you my overview.
(Not suitable for under 18's  due to language, drug/alcohol abuse and sexual content)
 
Twenty-four year old Dexter Michaels has arrived in the UK for a fresh start - leaving everything and everyone he knows behind in the states. Determined to put right some of the wrongs he'll never be able to forgive himself for making and make his Aunt Sarah - the only person left who still believes in him - proud, he lands in London with the intention of working hard, getting his degree and keeping himself to himself. He can't destroy anybody else that way...



His heart and his body have other ideas however when he finds himself sitting next to nineteen year old Emily Barton in his Psychology class. Moving down south to find her own New Life, Emily is shy, smart and beautiful - everything Dexter knows he should stay away from... everything he knows would be too easy for him to break.



But she makes him feel things he'd forgotten even existed. She makes him laugh, smile, care... forget. Without her trying, and without him realizing, Emily has wound her way into the one place he swore to keep locked away forever - his heart. But can she stay there when she discovers the dark past he's so determined to keep hidden from her? Or will he destroy her too, just like he always expected?


Ok, I thought that this book was well written. I didn't know exactly what to expect when I started this book, even after reading the blurb. I mean what kind of problems does Dexter aka Dex have that he thinks he destroys everyone that he becomes close with? And what is it about Emily that makes him forget everything? But once I got to reading I was really happy that I heard about the book.

Emily is a very awkward girl when it comes to social settings. She is only comfortable talking to two people, her brother Chris and her best friend Rachel. Her parents are very background people, but her mother is a stuck up woman who doesn't think her children do anything right and her father allows her mother to treat her badly. The only family member that leaves is her brother. He now lives 4 hours away from her, but still makes sure to check on her every couple of days.

Dexter is running from his past. He drowns himself is women, but only after choosing the right one for a one night stand. He doesn't want any kind of relationship, even friendship. But after meeting Emily, who starts dating his somewhat friend and co worker, and then getting paired up with her in one of their university classes, everything starts to change. He can't stop himself from thinking about her, and it gets to the point where he can't even use his usual outlet of women to get her out of his mind. But then his past comes calling and he needs to figure out if Emily is going to stand by him or run like he thinks she should.

The book ends on a little of a cliffhanger, and as much as I hate those, it does make sure that you go and get the next book Hold on Tight when it comes out in a few weeks. I can't wait to see how that book turns out, because I think Emily and Dexter are amazing together.

Link to buy Take My Hand http://www.amazon.com/Take-My-Hand-Nicola-Haken-ebook/dp/B00FLCU4RQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385044505&sr=8-1&keywords=Take+My+Hand

No comments:

Post a Comment